symptoms/"reasons" for revision

meagan_s
on 3/23/11 1:06 pm, edited 3/23/11 9:56 pm - Fort Hood, TX
I would like to ask for examples of some of your symptoms/complications ... or reasons for revisions.

The reason I ask is because I frequently burp... and I have talked to my doctors several times about my "symptoms" and complications but I never thought to mention the burping. When I finally did, my doctor said that it was a significant piece of info and asked what else I am forgetting. ...  So, on that note, I am kinda looking for a list of complications and issues, in case something helps me ring a bell regarding other (possibly significant) complications I might have.
Candice L.
on 3/23/11 1:33 pm - IN

Hey there! Just wanted to reply and say that I am scheduled for a revision of my RNY this coming Thursday (3/31). I had my surgery done December of 2008 and have lost 180 pounds. I am at 183 pounds now and am 5'11 so that's not too bad. But as for why the revision, since about 6 months post op I have had ulcer after ulcer and stricture after stricture over and over. Generally I would have to have an endoscopy done at least every month or so to open a stricture. I have never really been able to eat "solid" foods since December of 2008, I vomit several times daily and the longer it goes on the worse it gets. I am now starting to vomit some blood up, probably due to the ulcers. I am ready to have this revision done and hopefully start feeling better. I am severely malnourished at this point and feel bad daily. I know not everyone has these kinds of problems and I am still glad that I had the surgery done. I am just afraid that after this revision I will drop down to an unhealthy weight. I'm not sure how much I should expect to lose after this revision, my surgeon isn't the most informative person there is and it's a fight to even get the man to remember your name even if you're wearing a name tag...ha ha. Well, I hope this helped you some. :)

Ladytazz
on 3/23/11 2:27 pm
What are you having done?  Are you getting a reversal or revision?  If you are having that many problems with your pouch it sounds like it would be a good idea for them to take it down and maybe revise it into a sleeve.  I was just wondering why you are worried about losing too much weight.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Candice L.
on 3/23/11 2:32 pm - IN
He is just doing a revision of my original surgery from what I understand. I don't think he is planning on doing a sleeve just trying to "fix" what is wrong with the one I have now. I was worried about getting too small. I am close to six foot and am at 183 now. After this surgery i'm worried I will keep losing and get down too far. Hopefully things go well.

Ladytazz
on 3/23/11 2:48 pm
Is he re-doing the pouch?  Not trying to be obnoxious just wondering how that is going to solve the ulcer/stricture problem?  Is he moving the anastomosis?  It's just that the people that I have heard of that had this problem have had to have their surgery reversed.
If he is making the pouch smaller you may lose some more weight at least initially but hopefully it won't be too much.
Keep us posted.  I hope this solves all your problems.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Lisa N.
on 3/26/11 3:51 am - Williston Park, NY
 I had RNY surgery in Aug '03. I lost 120 lbs.  When I first had this surgery, I thought it was going to be the magic bullet. I was young and not mature and I did not know what I was getting myself into.  I didn't use my tool correctly and 2-3 yrs after, I started gaining the weight back.  I had stomaphyx and that did not work. 

In 2010 my old surgeon referred me to his former colleague that had operated on my cousins. He felt he would be the best surgeon to help me.  The options were a lap band or a complete revision.  I went to his office and I found out that my old surgeon made my pouch too low and this surgeon makes them much higher.  There was no way, I could have a ds or sleeve.  I had to have many tests and they found that my pouch and stoma had stretched.  He said that the lap band would not work on me. So the only option would be a complete revision. Which I had on 11/29/10.  I went from a bypass back to a bypass. Everything was redone.  The surgery took 5-7 hours. I have lost 75 lbs.
   Lisa
Most Active